5 Ways to Prepare for Natural Childbirth by Julie Birdsong, CNM
TIP: Here’s Some Tips from The San Francisco Birth Center’s Julie Birdsong!
- Drink plenty of water and eat small, frequent low carb, low sugar, high protein meals including healthy fats and fiber.
- Maintain an aerobic and strengthening exercise routine, such as prenatal yoga.
- Fill your toolkit with coping strategies. Take a natural childbirth preparation course that incorporates mindfulness and meditation like a Prenatal Partners workshop.
- Spend early labor in the comfort of your own home with the support of an experienced doula.
- Choose a birth team that supports your choices. Hire a midwife!
About the Author: Julie Birdsong graduated from the UCSF Midwifery Program and was a registered nurse for 18 years. She has lived in the Mission for over 10 years and is excited to serve as the Communications Director for the NEW San Francisco Birth Center. Julie is thrilled to bring the option of a birth center to San Francisco and to care for women in her own community.